In 2013, we:
- planned a prison event to NC giving encouragement and hope to the precious women inside!
- increased our prisoner correspondence due to our prison visit, through our website and social media.
- have more prisoners working on writing books, screenplays, coming up with business ideas, or drawing a masterpiece.
- have books in the process of being typed, edited and formatted – soon to be distributed!!
- have created and sent out our first Newsletter.
- have redesigned the banner on our website.
- have been able to network with other organizations that believe in the vision and are offering their knowledge and skills.
- have made improvements to the functionality of our administration.
But we want to give you more exciting news! After much consideration, PiPP will no longer be operating as a nonprofit. Due to the grand vision that has been placed on our organization, we feel a for-profit is the wiser avenue to pursue. In addition, we will be diligent in obtaining the creditable Benefit Corporation certification. http://www.bcorporation.net/
B Corporations are certified, after certain qualifications are met, in order to serve a global movement of entrepreneurs using the power of business to solve social and environmental problems. We believe that the increase in prison population, and the recidivism rate, are social problems that can be solved when the prisoner, and ex-offender, have found purpose and have the support they need to pursue it.
The restructuring of Purpose in Prison Projects (nonprofit) to Power in Purpose (for profit) will be an endeavor but will well be worth the time, effort and resources to make it a reality.
Our first order of business will be to take one step at a time. To begin, we will be accepting only manuscripts from prisoners so we can get them edited and distributed before we move onto bigger projects. However, we have made connections with other organizations that can help the prisoner sell their art and crafts online so we will be that resource for them when needed.
One step at a time. One prisoner at a time. One project at a time.
Only when we have formed a firmer foundation, will we step into the broader vision this organization has to make a significant difference in the life of a prisoner.
Thanks again for ALL you have contributed to ignite PiPP’s vision.
Mission Statement: To give the prisoner and ex-offender hope through the Power in Purpose.